Did you just read the title and say "WHAT? Zucchini WHAT?" That's right: Zucchini popsicles. And they are good - like the best popsicles my son thought I'd ever made good.
You see, zucchini doesn't really have a strong flavor - making it perfect to be masked by strong flavors like cherry and lime. So why is it in the popsicle? Texture, my friends. If you were like me, your favorite popsicles growing up were the ones where the ice was just a little bit soft and mushy instead of hard like a big flavored ice cube. That texture is achieved commercially with a variety of savory products like corn starch and corn syrup (ew). But you can duplicate that texture at home with zucchini - without any weird flavors - promise!
- 1/2 of a medium sized zucchini*
- 10 cherries (fresh or frozen - the dark red kind)*
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 cup sugar*
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Remove the stem and/or blossom ends from the zucchini and cut into about 8 pieces. Add to blender.
- Pit cherries and remove stems if needed. Add cherries and lime juice to blender.
- Mix the sugar and water, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the sugar water to the blender and blend about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds and freeze until solid